Police open investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against Joshua Primo

SAN ANTONIO — Police have begun investigating allegations that former San Antonio Spurs goalie Joshua Primo repeatedly exposed himself to a former team therapist during counseling sessions.

Dr Hillary Cauthen has taken legal action against Spurs and Primo, claiming the 19-year-old exposed her genitals to him nine times during several sessions.

In addition to the civil complaint that was filed Thursday in Bexar County, which includes San Antonio, Cauthen filed a criminal complaint against Primo.

The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office told The Associated Press that it “has made contact with the victim involved in the Joshua Primo incident.” The sheriff’s office called it a “preliminary investigation into the allegations” against Primo.

In her lawsuit, the former team performance psychologist said Spurs did nothing to discipline Primo or address her concerns “despite her numerous complaints about Primo’s inappropriate sexual conduct”.

Cauthen said she briefed and requested a meeting with Spurs general manager Brian Wright after what she described as Primo’s first indecent exposure incident in December 2021. She said her request for meeting in January had been postponed by Wright until March, during which time Cauthen continued to advise Primo despite his concerns.

Cauthen said his role with the team was marginalized in the months that followed, culminating in the non-renewal of his contract in August.

Cauthen said she was angry, confused and sad that Primo faced no discipline for his actions until the Spurs released him an hour before their Oct. 28 home game against Chicago. Primo cleared the waivers on Monday but did not sign with another team.

In a statement released shortly after Cauthen’s press conference, Spurs CEO RC Buford said the franchise disagreed “with the accuracy of the facts, details and timing presented today. ‘today’.

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich, speaking ahead of Friday night’s game against the Clippers, said he could not comment on when he was first informed of Primo’s alleged behavior and the actions Spurs have taken or not taken as it is now a legal matter. Popovich said Spurs have long worked to maintain a healthy working environment.

“I would just add that anyone who has watched Spurs for a very long time knows that an accusation like this would be taken very seriously, no doubt,” Popovich said. “No misunderstanding, the Spurs organization would be above it all. I have absolutely no doubt that the men and women in the management staff who have dealt with and are dealing with this have done so in a deliberate, efficient, timely manner. and with the utmost care for everyone involved, accuser, accused, members of the organization, to make sure everyone always felt comfortable and safe. I’m just going to let my comments on that.

Popovich was a strong advocate for civil rights and various social causes. The claim that Spurs turned a blind eye to Cauthen’s accusations has troubled the team’s fans.

“The only thing I would say to the fans is to consider the statement I just made about how we handled things for many years,” Popovich said. “As for the specifics, I think they know intellectually, like all of us, that it’s in the hands of the lawyers. We can’t say anything. It pretty much cuts everything. I guess with the time, the details will come out, they always do. Everyone has to wait for that.

Add Comment